RECYCLING AND SOLID WASTE
|Click here if you received an invite for the Pilot Curbside Green Organics Program.|
Find your schedule for trash, recycling and bulk trash & green organics service.
Bulk Trash and Green Organics Schedule
Click here for more information on the Bulk Trash and Green Organics program and follow the links below for your collection schedule. By participating in the program, you’re closing the loop on this waste stream and helping to create nutrient-rich compost that is used at city parks, community gardens and given away to residents.
2017 Bulk Trash and Green Organics Full Schedule
Free compost now available to Tempe residents by appointment
Need some compost right away? Now you don’t need to wait until the next giveaway or Zero Waste Day. Tempe residents can pick up free compost by scheduling an appointment on Monday-Friday, between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. Please call 480-350-4311 to schedule an appointment. A current Tempe utility bill and identification are required. Please bring your own bag, truck or trailer. Staff will be on hand to assist with loading.
Top 10 in the bin
Do you recycle? Do you know what you can and cannot put in the blue bin? The City of Tempe has a recycling goal of 25% by 2020. To help achieve this goal, we need your help!
The top 10 things to put in your recycle bin are:
- broken down card board
- food boxes
- beverage cans
- food cans
- glass bottles
- jars (glass and plastic)
- plastic bottles and caps
Did you know that you cannot put plastic bags and wraps into the blue bin? These soft plastics ruin the recycling equipment and cause challenges for recycling staff. You can recycle these items at your local grocery store, or save them for a Zero Waste Day. The city has two Zero Waste Days annually, in April and November. At these events, you can also recycle Styrofoam, electronics and textiles, as they items cannot go into the blue bins.
Click here for a printable version.
Items Not Recyclable in Tempe Recycling Bins
Please do not put the following items in City of Tempe Municipal Recycling Containers container.
- Plastic bags – Please take your plastic bags to a Bag Central Station location.
- Food waste – Click here to request a compost container to recycle your food waste.
- Household and automotive products, electronics – Please bring to the Household Products Collection Center for proper disposal
- Styrofoam (packaging and peanuts)
- Shrink and bubble wrap
- Plastic utensils (forks, knives, etc.)
- Paper towels, napkins, facial and toilet tissue
- Waxed coated fast food beverage cups
- Six pack plastic beverage rings
- Self-sealing or cardboard mailing envelopes with padding or bubble wrap
- Stained glass, light bulbs, mirrors, porcelain and ceramics
- Cereal box inserts
- Empty chemical containers
- Dog or cat food bags
- Food waste or liquids of any kind