We understand that budgets and time constraints don’t always allow groups to visit our facilities and that is why Rumpke is happy to bring our educational opportunities to you. Rumpke’s Education Specialist can visit your school, community organization or church to discuss our operations with your group. Presentations focus on what happens to your waste and recycling once it leaves the curb and waste reduction tips. Presentations can be tailored to meet your group’s needs and time allowance. Due to their popularity, presentations should be scheduled several months in advance. Weekend presentations are limited to groups larger than 50.
Rumpke also offers short videos on our landfill or recycling operations.
Additionally, Rumpke offers the following handouts:
Portable Restroom Coloring Sheet
Since its humble beginnings in the 1930s, the Rumpke family has been committed to reducing the amount of waste entering its landfills through recycling efforts. Today, Rumpke Recycling is one of the nation’s largest recyclers, utilizing the foremost technology at our recycling facilities.
Beyond the Curb – What Happens Next?
Do you ever wonder what happens to your recyclables once they leave the curb? The first stop is a MRF – Material Recovery Facility – where they are sorted by type. Recycling Manager Brad Dunn shows us how this is done on this brief tour of our Cincinnati operations.
Learn more about recycling, including information about our acceptable item list.
Annually, thousands of people tour Rumpkes landfills and recycling centers to learn more about what happens to their trash and recycling. Make a landfill or recycling tour part of your classroom curriculum or a learning opportunity for your organization.
A landfill tour includes a brief history of the company and an explanation of truck types. The bus then travels around the landfill while a trained guide shows guests what happens after garbage leaves their homes. Methane gas removal and recovery, leachate (waste water) collection, surface water controls and other points of interest, including recycling facts, are explained. The tour concludes with a description of standard landfill closure processes and future landfill property use.
Before scheduling a landfill tour, please consider the following:
- Tours of Rumpke’s Colerain Township Landfill take place on Wednesdays only. Tours of Rumpke’s Brown County, Ohio, landfill are available Monday-Friday, depending on tour guide availability.
- Tours must be scheduled at least 2 months in advance.
- Tours last approximately 1 hour.
- Tours are free.
- Tours are conducted year round from the safety of a bus.
- Your school or organization may provide the transportation. At Rumpke’s Colerain Township Landfill, guests may also request use of Rumpke’s 21-passenger bus on site. At Rumpke’s Brown County, Ohio, Landfill, guests may request use of Rumpke’s passenger bus on site. Groups must provide own transportation at other Rumpke sites.
- Dry weather is required. Rumpke reserves the right to cancel tours when precipitation causes slippery road conditions or safety concerns.
- As a safety precaution, all tour participants must be Kindergarten-age or older.
- Groups must have at least 10 tour participants. We will attempt to accommodate individuals and smaller groups by adding them to other smaller groups.
Schedule a landfill tour.
If you are unable to attend a landfill tour, or if you want to learn more before scheduling, please check out these videos.
During a walking tour of the facility, guests will learn about the technology used at our state-of-the-art facilities and see recyclables sorted and separated. The tour also includes an explanation of acceptable and unacceptable materials, an overview of Rumpke’s recycling operations and a chance for questions.
Before scheduling a recycling tour, please consider the following:
- Rumpke offers tours of its Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio, facilities, by appointment only.
- Tours of Rumpke’s Cincinnati facility are offered on Wednesdays and Thursdays, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. The Columbus tours are typically scheduled on Tuesdays between 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., March- November.
- Tours may be cancelled or rescheduled because of extreme weather conditions.
- Tours must be scheduled at least 2 months in advance.
- Tours last approximately one hour.
- Tours are free.
- Groups must provide their own transportation to the facility. Because of parking limitations at the sites, groups are encouraged to car pool.
- As a safety precaution, tour participants must be at least of high school-age to walk through the plant.
- Guests must be able to climb flights of stairs without assistance (an elevator is available at the Cincinnati facility; however, if participants are unable to climb stairs, the tour will be limited).
- The Columbus facility tours are for 10 people at a time. We will attempt to accommodate individuals and smaller groups by adding them to other smaller groups. Larger groups may be considered.
- The Cincinnati facility requires a minimum of 10 tour participants and a maximum of 20 participants. We will attempt to accommodate individuals and smaller groups by adding them to other smaller groups. Larger groups may be considered.
- Tour guests are required to wear sturdy, hard soled, closed toe shoes with backs (no sandals or heels). Long pants and long sleeves are recommended. Guests who don’t abide by the dress code are not permitted inside the facility.
- The tours occur in an industrial environment and may not be appropriate for individuals with medical conditions impacted by dust or noise. Additionally, the facilities have several magnets that may impact medical devices.
Schedule a recycling center tour.
If you are unable to attend a recycling tour, or if you want to learn more before scheduling, please check out these videos.
Keeping neighborhoods clean and green is more than a slogan; it’s our rally cry, our company purpose and our daily quest.Everyday, Rumpke drivers hit the streets to protect the health and safety of you – our neighbors – by collecting your trash and recyclables.
Curbside collection is just the beginning of how we keep neighborhoods clean. It is Rumpke’s responsibility – and the reason for our existence – to be green by properly disposing of the material we collect in a safe and environmentally friendly way.
Proper waste disposal is an essential service that Rumpke humbly provides for millions of residents, tens of thousands of businesses and more than 300 municipalities through its 11 landfill locations. Learn more about how landfills keep your neighborhoods clean and green.
Protecting the environment starts with proper planning. There are many rules about where a landfill can be built. Landfill Manager Alvie Green explains the planning that takes place prior to constructing a landfill.
The differences between the dumps of yesteryears and today’s modern landfills are many. Landfill Manager Jim Hext explains one of the most notable differences – the liner system – during this brief visit to Rumpke’s Brown County Landfill.
Proper waste disposal is vital in protecting human health as well as our environment. Meet Landfill Manager Ralph Collins, an everyday environmentalist, and learn more about his daily quest to keep Medora, Ind., clean and green.
Landfill Manager Ralph Collins talks about Rumpke’s wetlands mitigation area at the Medora, Ind., Landfill.
I Love Trash Trucks And I Cannot Lie-Attention Rumpke Fans!
Do your kids or your grandchildren love Rumpke trash trucks? Does the sight of a recycling truck make your little girl smile? Does your little boy wake up early in the morning to catch a glimpse of your Rumpke driver? If so here’s your chance to add to that joy and foster learning at the same time!
Kids-and yes adults too- are invited to join the Rumpke Fan Club. Membership gives Rumpke and trash truck fanatics an opportunity to learn more about the equipment used to collect trash and recycling, the waste and recycling industry and Rumpke.
Rumpke Fan Club members receive a welcome package from Rumpke as well as a quarterly newsletter and small gifts throughout the year. Fans also receive access to special events including behind-the-scenes tours.
There is no cost to sign-up. Delight your little truck fans by signing them up as a card carrying member of the Rumpke Fan Club. Sign-up today!